View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qixter View Post
Tarka...I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here.

I'm not jumping all over Cryptic for bugs within the game. I actually like the game.

But Open Beta is the period when you're supposed to stabilize your servers and test them under load. The time to do that is *not* after your paying customers start to arrive.

Just because almost every MMO has troubles after launch does *not* mean that it is an excusable behavior. This comes from rushing a product out to launch without actually being prepared or putting it under proper test conditions before launch. Period.
With all due respect there is only so much one can envisage going wrong prior to the launch of a product. You, the manufacturer, try to cover ALL possible eventualities and try to envisage every possible way that your product could be played and how it could go wrong, but in the end you are only human.
And sometimes, things just happen that are beyond your control (e.g. a router deciding to die for no reason).

Plus, there is often a big difference between an OB and launch / early access, for example population levels. Why? Because people often don't play OB's as much as they play the early access or after launch. People often use the OB to play just for a few hours to get a taster and then leave it at that. Not all do this mind you. But I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make.
Plus certain issues may only come to light under certain conditions which did not rear their heads in beta. Ask Bill Gates why his software is found to have holes and bugs after its launch.

Should ANY product in this world release in a perfect state? Yes. Does it? No. We don't live in a perfect world.