View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Many things contribute to victory on the battlefield, and weapons and technology are only part.

Ruthlessness, morale, a willingness to fight on until the end even against desperate odds, training, numbers, dumb luck, deceptions, tactics, use of the technology you have, and other factors would also come into play.

Like how did the Soviets beat the Germans in WW2? The Germans had for the most part superior technology, but were still beaten. There were several reasons the Soviets won.
1. Numbers - This was the biggest reason. There were a lot more Russians then there were Germans. This dovetails with item number 2...
2. Willingness to expend large numbers of soldiers to win - The loss ratios for most battles were very much in favor of the Germans, but they still lost. This is because the Russians were willing and able to trade two or three of their soldiers for every German they killed. And the Soviets had enough available manpower to accept these losses.
3. Strategy - Most apparent during the period of 1943 onwards, the Soviets had a much clearer strategic plan then the Germans did. With the descent into madness of much of the German's leadership, they were unable to adapt to the Soviet stratagems being devised and implemented by Zhukov and Konev. The most telling event of this was Operation Bagration in 1944.
4. Supplies - The Germans never had enough supplies, particularly fuel, for their needs. Another constant problem was spare parts. The Soviets had enough warmaking supplies after 1942 and the entry of the United States in the war that supplies was never an issue.

I would imagine the Cardassians would use similar methods to defeat the Federations. Superior numbers, a willingness to accept a higher loss ratio to achieve victory, and use of superior strategy can easily overcome a technically superior foe.

It was not until the Allies in Star Trek had developed new strategies and brought up more combat units that they were able to defeat the Cardassians. Looking at Memory Alpha, it estimates that 7 million Cardassian military deaths occurred during the Dominion War (807 million death, 800 million which were civilian) which is A LOT for a 2 year conflict which if accurate would legitimize my theory of accepting a higher loss ratio to achieve victory.
I can accept numbers and yes, I agree that the numbers is one aspect of the Cardassian military doctrine. Still, the supplies comment I must disagree on. Because the original purpose of the Cardassians expansion was due to a LACK of resources. The Federation, Klingons, and Romulans each had a better source of supplies and resources supporting them...I argument is that with limited resources, the Cardassians would be forced to juryrig and salvage what they could to regenerate the numbers required to continue an extended engagement. In order to jury rig and salvage would be the bread and butter of Engineers, but new technologies would be Science which wasn't very visible in the DS9 era, nor did the Cardassians appear to be any more tactically superior than the Federation or Klingon Empire.

Cardassians only had three known ships. The Hideki Fighter, The Galor Lt. Cruiser, and the Keldon Cruiser. They also had a variety of mines in their complement.

In Game this would translate into an Engineer heavy force. 1. Using Cruisers, 2. Large numbers, 3. Tough but limited technologies, and 4. Small ship complement.

This is also just my opinion and I want to thank everyone who is making this discussion worth reading.