View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
let me ask differently: it seems that the skills i might want my officers to have varies from mission to mission. how does one set a strategy, or is it basically trial-error-trial-success with choosing new skills? it feels "risky" to try a new skill starting at level 1 vs. just keeping the existing skill at level 6 (or 7 or whatever). it seems like we are disincentized from trying new skills.
The best way I found to experiment with skills is to go ahead and train them but do not level them up. Play with the skill for a bit and then decide if you like it or not. If you like it, skill it up. If you don't, dump it for another.

That being said, you can also have multiple officers of a certain type. I have two engineers that I swap out in space depending on the mission. I also have one officer that I use for ground only and never use him in space. It might seem like a waste to some people but I find it gives me a nice variety of skills to use depending on the situation. It also saves on merits from having to train one officer in all the skills I want.