View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 31
02-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
The thing that many people always seem to forget is that other MMO companies that have say a 4 or 5 year development have to build a game engine. Cryptic already had one, this speeds things up quite a bit. Could the game have benefit from a slightly longer development time? Sure. But look at from another perspective. This game has been in development since 2004. They wanted to get this game out to us asap before we all lost interest. They also wanted to ride the wave of JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie. I see this as a smart move. I personally like the idea of a lifetime membership and wish I could afford one. Do you honestly think that they are just doing that to rake in dough and then forget about the game. That would ultimately kill their studio. The bad rep would put them out of business. The truth is, they know they have a hit on thier hands an we can expect to see regular updates for quite some time. There are 10 million or more Star Trek fans out there. Depending on how many this game can pull in, it could truly turn into a top MMO. I see these TV ads as a good way to pull in some of those 10 million fans. Especially since SyFy has a viewer base of over a million and Star Trek is quite popular on the network. Playing STO commercials throughout the marathon today is a smart marketing move any way you look at it.
No you are so wrong in that.

SOE used their existing engine for EQ2 (one they already developed for SWG) and still spend over 4 years on EQ2.

NCSoft licensed the CryEngine 1 for development of **** and they still spend over 4 years on that game.

Funcom used their own optimised inhouse engine (Dreamworld Engine, wich they used on their previous games) for Age of Conan. They still spend over 4 years on that game.

Do you want more examples?