View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus
I haven't experienced PvP, so I can't give you advice on that. Also we do not know yet if the queues stay in after launch and how severe there are. To get an honest picture you should give the game a few weeks.

However, you might want to look into EVE Online as well. Not because it's better, but I think it's very casual friendly. In EVE, you learn the skills simply by spending time on the, even offline. That means, even if you can only play for 5 hours in a week, you can still advance skillwise. I liked that concept a lot.
EVE also has the steepest learning curve of any MMO I've ever seen. It also has a completely player run economy which recently had a financial crisis because a player run bank was very shady. IMO it's not very casual friendly because to do or see any of the cool stuff, you do have to devote a lot of time to it. Simply going across the galaxy takes hours because it's all one giant server. Which is cool and all if you like EVE, but don't say it's casual.

STO is fairly casual on the other hand. It should take you 20ish hours to get to your Tier 2 ship, and that is about as far as I have ever gotten. So who knows after that. You can join fleet actions, you can do PvP, you can quest. All of them don't require much grouping as the server will auto join you to groups if you set it to that. The longest fleet action I have been in required about, 45 minutes of time.