View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Teamwork is key in any tier, but that doesn't mean that no imbalances exist.

Tier 1: Klingons have quite the advantage. You can talk about a few extra stat bumps from PvE gear all day long, but it won't make up for the fact that you can stay on one shield facing of a light cruiser pretty much at will. The smaller the battle size, the more it favors Klingons. In a 1v1 for instance, it's the Bird of Prey's fight to lose. In a 5v5 battle, Klingons should nearly always win in this tier, but losses will likely happen. Bridge Officer support abilities seem mostly worthless; damage out scales them by leaps and bounds. If the light cruiser had a better turn radius (though still lower than the BOP of course) things would probably even out.

Tier 2: I think the Klingons have a better chance here than most of them want to admit. Are you in trouble if the other team happens to have 5 Cruisers that actually support each other? Probably. Focus fire should cut through anything else like butter, especially if you have a Sensor Scan for the Alpha Strike. My Science Ship with Covariant Shields Mk III [Cap] (which gives them a very slightly higher shield value than the Mk IV on the vendor) can be obliterated within a few seconds of Rapid Firing Alpha Strikes - defensive abilities be darned. In fact, I sort of think Rapid Fire might be slightly overpowered at this tier, though Klingons don't have exclusive access to it, of course. Bridge Officer support abilities fare much better than they did in T1, but can still very easily be out damaged with just a couple tunnel visioning ships.

Tier 3: Not gotten here yet since head start, but it felt more balanced than either of the earlier tiers in Open Beta. Support abilities are extremely useful, and I seemed to see a lot less "blam blam dead" incidents in general. The first (and only) space-based crowd control becomes available here, though I still think it's too easily countered by first tier Science Teams.