View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
My apologies for bumping my own post, but now that I've had the opportunity to grab some screenies from the Treasure Trading Station mission, I wanted to illustrate the point I was making about the need for a little bit of "muscle tone" -- or, at least, model definition -- when it comes to exposed skin surfaces with skimpier costumes in STO. The first 3 image links are different angles of an Orion female in her "space bikini," and the 4th is a similar look -- cobbled together quickly using Champions Online's costume builder:

STO image 1
STO image 2
STO image 3
CO image

IMO, the graphic artists have done a fine job designing both the clothing items / textures and the faces in STO. But, again IMO, in this case the overall presentation of this character is spoiled by the complete lack of detail / shading / texturing of the rest of her body. The builder in CO, however, only provides a similar lack of surface detail on body parts if the "Muscle" slider is thrown all the way to the left. In the sample image I prepared, that slider setting is only at 35% and yet a respectable amount of surface shading / detail is obtained. Certainly, Star Trek has never really called for the Mr. or Ms. Olympia levels provided by the right-most 50% of the CO Muscle slider. And while Nichelle Nichols may not have possessed abs of steel, her Mirror Universe uniform displays far more tone than the above-linked STO character.

Again, I'm not requesting the addition of a Muscle slider a la Champions Online -- although additional customizing tools are always welcome. All I'm hoping for is the addition of a little more tone / definition / detail to STO character models' skin surfaces that would normally be covered by the basic Starfleet uniforms. With the eventual de-bugging of the female Mirror Universe costume options, I imagine we'll be seeing at least a little more exposed skin around the Starbases than we have up to this point. It'd be nice if those newly-exposed portions of the models showed a similar level of detail to that of their costumes and faces.

--Chris