View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
OP, this is a great idea. Initially I was opposed to the feature being left in game because every post I had read "for" keeping it in was nothing but a flaming insult brought to the forums straight from a PvP whine fest.

I wish I could find the post that changed my view to one that I am of an opinion that this IS canonical and SHOULD be part of the STO universe. Essentially it spoke of how lasers work in reality and that if a color exists in the spectrum, a laser can pretty much be adjusted to it. Star Trek has always been about exploration, science and the human condition.

This discussion is canonical because it explores new ideas and offers a different point of view.

By the way, I like your idea of making it so you have to accomplish something in game to enable this feature on your character. It has the element of adding content (one of the biggest complaints) and could be presented in such a way to involve research missions as you mentioned. I'll even go so far as to suggest that this could be added as of the new raid-i-sodes so it isn't easy. Imagine if you will, a very canonical research and exploration mission where you would have to gather information and resources and possibly fight those dastardly Romulans or even the dreaded Borg to get this critical new technology! In the end, I think that there would be little to no grounds for any complaints if the people who got this had to work their butts off for it.

Let us not forget that real life science backs up the notion of varying the hues of your pew pews.

Humanity could benefit in the end if we could put this dispute behind us.