View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
TLDR At the end.

This ability does have counters. However it has NO counters usable by the ship it targets after it has hit them.

An ability that completely removes control of the ship from a player needs to have readily available counters to it or needs to be shorter in duration. An 8 second stun in a game based around defensive cooldowns is entirely too much.

If the ability removed weapon control and movement it would be powerful enough, for it to completely remove control of your ship when every bird of prey DPS Klingon has access to it is just ridiculous. Just so it is clear Klingon DPS has this skill, the only Federation Vessel that can get it is a science ship. In addition, Tactical Team (maybe) and Science Team (definitely) can remove this skill but only if used by a friend or the target ship before it is fired.

For those defending the skill, let me say this, if a skill can be used by one player to completely disable another, the target needs a skill usable on themselves reactively to remove the effect. Anything else is imbalanced and will result in cookie cutter specs with no counters but opposing cookie cutter specs (5 BoPs vs 5 Science Vessels).

I honestly like Viral Matrix, I believe it to add variety and interest to the game. However saying that it is fine to be able to stun a ship for 8 seconds while you tear it apart because a 'teammate' can remove it is illogical and imbalanced.

My solutions are:

Iit disables weapons and engines only (this is the primary use in my view anyway).

OR

Science, Tactical, and Engineering teams are usable REACTIVELY by the TARGET to remove the effect. Effectively this makes it a better, stronger tractor beam for 3-4 seconds while the target uses his/her team effect, or it is still an 8 second stun if their teams aren't up. This removes its viability as an opening 1 shot on an opponent and sustains it's power with limits.

OR

The effect needs to be 3-4 seconds ONLY instead of 8.

TLDR An 8 second stun on opposing DPS with no reactive counters with 1 race having full access and 1 race having limited access (BoP vs Science vessel usage) is imbalanced and requires a fix in the form of an increase in reactive cooldown availability or a reduction in the power's effectiveness.