View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2010, 06:00 AM
TNG is probably my favorite. Then TOS. DS9 I really didn't like at first, but I found that later episodes got me hooked back in again. Voyager was just the opposite. I started off really liking it, but after the first couple of seasons, I just lost interest. I didn't even bother with Enterprise because I thought it was just a desperate attempt by the franchise to get the fans back into the series, but after hearing some of the positve comments here I may give it another shot.
I grew up on TNG so that's probably why it's my favorite. I have a lot of fond memories of watching it with my family every week. Then I discovered the original series, and movies, and I found myself wondering why Picard couldn't be more like Kirk. However, as I've gotten older, I've come to realize some of Picard's finer points. It really occurred to me recently when I was re-watching season one of TNG, and I watched Skin of Evil. Here's this thing that has killed one crew member already (and a mainstay character, not just a redshirt), and is threatening two of the more popular characters, and Picard is argueing with it. That's when it occurred to me that Picard is like Abraham Lincoln. He knows his limitations as a human being, but he sticks to his convictions. Kirk is like Bill Clinton. Instead of berating the alien, and putting it in its place, he would have just punched it and then somehow convinced the alien that it deserved it and to let his people go.