View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
So don't give them the job, and tell them why you didn't give them the job. They'll feel like an idiot and probably stop writing letters of interest like a 14-year-old.

Who's to say they're wrong, or even ignorant? Perhaps that's a new, emerging form of slang. And I've personally never heard that from anyone over the age of 18.

The English language has always been changing faster than the generation gap. It's called colloquialisms and slang. It's been around a lot longer than you or I have. And it doesn't herald the end of the human race (although I suspect you were being glib there). It's just kids being kids. Or adults who are kids at heart being adults who are kids at heart. It certainly isn't harmful.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that the "el oh el" criticism isn't a fair one. That's simply us saying our old slang was better than these young whipper snapper's slang. "El Oh El" drives me bonkers, I admit. But I also admit that it's just me being an old grump. It's not better or worse than, "Groovy, man. Groovy" or "Oh, snap," or laughing exactly like the bully on the Simpons. The "El oh El" and "Oh Em Gee" sounds stupid to us because we're crotchety. It's the same as saying Spongebob is a ridiculous cartoon and was no where nearly as sophisticated as the stuff we had growing up, like He-Man.

As for the resume argument, I tend to agree that it's a problem. I'm in charge of hiring where I work, and the amount of resumes that have "lol" ending sentences, or no punctuation, or smiley's is getting to be very common. Maybe it's just my pool of applicants, but it's getting to be very difficult for me to find people that can actually tell the difference between "Their, there, and they're." I supervise people that send letters and emails to customers, and it's very important that these folks don't use internet slang. Customers can latch on to something like that and immediately make a decision about the professionalism of the company.

And I can tell you from experience, it's getting more difficult by the month to get reps to stop writing by internet standards.

So I agree that the forums are for communication, and the communication is fine with or without bad grammar. However, I also think it's innaccurate to act like the digital age isn't negatively impacting our language. In my anecdotal experience, it most definitely does have an impact.

Honestly, I think it feels like a losing battle. Sometimes I think the language is actually evolving, and soon things like grammar and spelling will be completely extinct.

Of course, to be honest, I'm not really sure there's a point to it anyway, so maybe that's not a bad thing.