View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraculus View Post
I all fairness, if it was real, it would be a simulator, not a game. No MMO anywhere, ever, has been real. If it was, it wouldn't be fun. Then, we wouldn't have Star Trek would we? Star Trek isn't real. Even Second Life, which is as real as it gets, isn't real.

If you want real, go outside or go to work. I get enough "real" as it is.
In all fairness I didn't say I wanted it real. I know it's a game. I said I wanted it to have some basis in reality, just as Star Trek does. Yes, it has tech to overcome the things that can't be explained, but it still obeys gravity, mass, inertia, etc.

Crysis, for example, has am amazing physics engine that is 100% based on real physics and it's a fantastic game.

Following basic physics rules doesn't need to detract from the game, in fact it can add more to the game. Your character creation would have a significant effect on how your character interacts with the game world. The little guys would have less mass and be able to jump higher or move faster, while they wouldn't be able to carry massive guns and wouldn't be as good at hand to hand. While an 8 foot giant could squash people like bugs, but would have the agility of a elephant.

Many other games take into account basic stats (str, dex, int, height, weight, etc) and are super fun.