View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 51
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTuxia View Post
I hate labels such geek, dork, jock etc as it limits people to certain cliques and from living in different parts of the world its one of the worst things the USA inflicted on itself and to some extent the rest of the world....,

Ah well...That probably makes me just weird as I love playing sports and expanding my mind.
See, I think you're missing the point (at least for me). A self proclaimed geek isn't someone that's caving in to social norms, because most social norms give "geek" a negative connotation.

Being a self proclaimed geek, you're standing against labels. You're saying, "Yeah, you know what? I guess I am a geek! And you know what else? I don't much care what you think about it. I like what I like, and I'm strong enough to admit it!"

The geeks that won't just admit they're geeks do so because they are actually giving power to these labels.

So stand up and yell, "I'm geeky as hell and I'm not gonna' take it anymore!"

Me, personally, I'm more than a geek. A few minutes ago, while playing another MMO, my very pretty wife said the sentence: "OH WOW! Check this out! I just looted a plus three scimitar with with Ghost Touch! Rock on!" Then she looked at me and said, "Oh dear, what have I become?"

I did that to her.

Yeah.