View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I strongly suspect many comments here are made by people who
1) have never studied war, the ways of defeating an enemy

2) think Klingons should either act like raging frat boys with batleths OR act like ancient Earth Samurai with European ideas of chivalry.

Sun Tzu said that "all war is based on deception". Nothing is more honorable than confounding your enemies plans and emerging victorious. For those of you who do not have the benefit of having actual real life combat experience, let me tell you that you want to have every advantage on your side. There is no "fair" or "unfair" in combat, only the victors and the vanquished. In this light the cloaking device is another weapon in a warriors arsenal.

If you want to understand what a "True Klingon" would do, study the books by John Ford, as well as a careful study of the episodes with Worf and the Klingons. If you simply apply your own uninformed ideas as to what Klingons are (ideas based in a Western middle class background) you will come up short because they are a complex people that can not be reduced to a single word or idea.

I would also invite the readers to gain a deeper understanding of what "Honor" means and has meant throughout history. It seems that many people are taking an archaic western based chivalry approach, a regime that was found only in Europe, only among the aristocracy and even then only when convenient.

Enjoy your studies.

Yours in elucidation Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. The double irony of this thread is that someone above mentioned the Romulans (Rihannsu) as having no honor, when in fact the strictures of Mnhei'sahe are even more complex than the Klingon and Terran equivalents. But this is a discussion for another day...