View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
There is more as well... I am willing to admit that I might have missed content, maybe entire segments of content. But it wasn't for a lack of trying. Every time I gain a level I contact every single person I can at Starfleet and I take every mission they have to offer. If I missed something by not just randomly heading in a new direction I am not sure what I can say other than it lends strength to my argument about the game being obscure instead of interesting.

I do like the game, don't get me wrong. This isn't a thread talking about how much I hated this or that. In fact I believe that a solid MMO and indeed a respectable Star Trek game can be built off of what Cryptic has begun here, but the core content is so shallow it is almost depressing.

I hate to utter the dreaded "W" word (and acronym) here but lets just say that in some other MMO that will not be mentioned I was able to level from 0 to 60 and I was dropping quests as I went because they no longer offered a challenge and my quest log was full. I still recall hitting level 60 and clearing out my quest log and noticing for the first time in months (yes... months to cap at my play speed) that the quest log has little cobwebs in the corner as a graphic. It had never been empty since that first quest were I killed some little rat men.

This wasn't four years after launch, after multiple patches and expansions. This was within the first three months of launch and I was dropping quests within the first week as I got to level 20 and had gray quests that would not be worth my time.

In STO I have been figuratively scraping the bottom of the barrel randomly flying near solar systems wondering if I might have missed a mission somewhere. Hoping for that dialog that would offer me a quest 30+ levels under me just so I would have something to do.

What STO is currently is a foundation of something greater. Let's just hope the current foundation that is full of holes (lack of missions to cap) and fractures (rampant bugs) won't cause the whole thing to come crumbling down later.