View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidium
I think you make some great points here. I did a write up on the beta boards that pointed out much of the same things. All other feedback aside the one that makes least sense to me is the fact that they did not make the documentation for game mechanics. You can read some things in tool tips here and there, or occasionally in spell info but thats about it.

I am with you on wanting to know what is good about certian items vs bad. What is my trade off for one item over the other in the same slot? Your guess is as good as mine right now.

For me this is the largest hole in the game. All the combat stats are mystery and with the way the interface bugs out or changes with just about every patch I guess that might be why we havent seen any publication of this info. They will say it should be one way, but the reality will be that the code is so bugged up that you wont ever get it to behave this way. So a forum riot would ensue.

There were far more posts begging cryptic to keep this bun in the oven than asking for immediate release. Because outside of combat there isnt anything else to do. The RAID content is missing, high end group content is missing, there are no epic grand adventures at top level (GuildWars), no crafting, no diplomacy to undertake, PvP has ho value (in the past even if you hated it there were good reasons to go do it), no player owned housing, no player owned territory to skirmish over... Thus you have a game which is really only good for casual play. Not that that is a bad thing, it is simply not a Full MMO.

I am only sticking around because I cant stand going back to EVE. It has nothing to do with the game itself, just that I no longer run my 6 LCD setup with 6 active accounts. That was the only way for me to really get into the game. Flying only one ship in eve is kinda boring. The market was alot of fun to mess around with / on though. WoW and the other games are just too boring anymore and have been neutered too much. Strangely enough I have re-found delight with single player RPGs!
I am sure there were a lot of factors involved in the release. Many of which we will never know. There were a lot of irons in the fire with this game and to be honest it shows. It feels like they were trying VERY hard to get you to understand that this is Star Trek. If I could undress my character I am positive my underwear would have a Star Trek logo on it.

The failing is in the small details and lack of content. Both of which can be fixed in the long run and my guess is that is why it was let loose.

I bet you are 100% correct about the tool tips not having any usable info though. A lot of that has yet to stabilize and until it does it makes sense for it to not change. Kudos on thinking outside the box there. Well outside of my box. Why did that sound dirty?