Thread: Cryptic Survey
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
Not entirely accurate.

Yes they're owned by Atari; but remember, even within the same company if Division A tells Management "Hey, Management, we need X to please our customers" they need some way to justify the expenditure to management.

Cryptic's budget to work on STO is going to be affected by:

A) Profits - the more money coming in, the more money Atari will be willing to reinvest in the game. (Unless they're idiots of course. I'll never, ever put anything past human stupidity.)

B) Chance for Profits - This is where the survey comes in. More stuff players want = more customers on a longer term basis = more money. If Cryptic can show Atari "Hey, if we do this, we'll probably be able to bring you more money in the long term" - they're more likely to be willing to fund that.

Ultimately despite being part of the same whole, you've still got to convince the people at the top to fund your project.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, but Atari would be an idiot to NOT invest in the future of STO. Contrary to what people may think of the game NOW, this game has so much potential, it being Star Trek AND it being placed where it is in the Trek timeline. To not invest heavily to make this a great MMO - regardless of reasoning - would be suicide for Atari/Infogrames/Namco-Bandai.

However, my general point was that, since Atari owns Cryptic, it's treated differently than the standard "developer negotiates with publisher, publisher milks dveloper, developer dies" mentality in the gaming industry.