View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Impressive wall of text... take out all the references to Killing floor and just include your ideas for changes - making it much shorter - and people may be more willing to read all of this and not just post:

TL;DR

but yes, I did read it...

-----------------------------

EDIT: At first reading, I liked your death penalty idea, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I don't think it would really work. It offers far too much potential for one eejit to hang up an entire group in a DSE. As people die, you could expect that the remaining players would eventually die off until 1 player is left. This one player could easily just decide to fly out of the range of any enemies and hang the rest of the team out to dry - forcing them to quit the dse somehow to advance. But it is far more likely that as people do die, that the remaining players would understandably be less likely to take on the tougher groups, restricting their combat to the easier fighter swarms or single/small ship groups. Frankly, most people only die on the really tough groups out there. That could mean waiting a looong time to respawn. Not a lot of fun if you were the first person to go down. Plus during fleet actions, who really wants to wait for the remaining 19 people to die before your ship respawns.

Personally I would like to see them institute a death penalty in the form of an across the board reduction in everything. You die, and for the next few minutes your shields, engines, hull, weapon dmg, skills all work at a reduction of 10%. Die again, in that death penalty window the timer gets reset to full, and it goes to 20%. Eventually you'd get to a penalty that would make you pretty ineffectual in combat. This would, I think, effectively stop players from simply trying to zerg rush everything. And even if playing a solo mission, most of them have a safe spawn point so that you could 'sit out' while the penalty expires - and just that inactivity for 3-5 minutes would probably be enough to provide a meaningful penalty.