View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Okay, I posted this in reply to someone else's exploration ideas which I will like here shortly for your perusal at leisure but thought it made sense that my expanded idea on permanent discovery should really be here as well

This is the thread in question:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2298394

And this is the expansion on my discovery permanence:
For one thing the unexplored sectors need to be large, similar or larger than known sectors. Especially considering there seems to be hundreds of unknown systems there rofl.

So, how about .. we expand the area to twice or even three times the size of a normal sector or have multiple unknown sectors side by side to show its a large expanse of unexplored space.

Now, unless it is a strange anomaly, and we know star trek episodes have included some of those in the past, systems don't disappear and move location rofl. Once you personally discover a planet you should see it there when you go back to that sector.

After you have reported your findings to starfleet those 3 unexplored systems should now be a permanent fixture and revistable. ( I believe I mentioned something similar in my own post ). We can give the benefit of the doubt that Starfleet will automatically forward any new data to other captains when they are given their next explore mission group in that area.

Perhaps we can go one further on this and have it so that instead of the random generated name Omega Theta Pi III it could be named by the first explorer to discover it. Xrystalia III sounds much nicer to me Of course maybe the renaming issue for old sectors may not be fair to incorporate with so many people before discovering them but perhaps the new ones you are adding *hint hint hint*.

So then the recently unexplored areas can eventually become a part of the normal explored area with new patrols once x number of solar systems in the area have been discovered. Then expand the unexplored sectors to offer more areas to search.

Now, as you pointed out, there should be more than a single planet or asteroids in the system sometimes. Maybe only one of them will be habitable but we should still see it and be able to fly to it. Our science officer can always tell us it isnt a class M planet etc and thus not safe to visit at the time.

Now, when I enter a system I expect to arrive on the outskirts of the system and expect to travel amongst the planetoids to identify which ones are able to be visited and with different orbit sizes, speeds, angles each system should be possible to be quite different.

Now this is the sort of thing I would like to be able to do when exploring. I don't expect it anytime soon however as I am sure the system isn't set up to be this complex yet even if possible.

First contact may not be really feasible in a game as time is a factor here, I'm not sure what the time speed is in the game at present but one of the things that would be cool with first contact that star trek tries to uphold in the movies and episodes are to study but not contact those planets below our tech level. But you can still go there to check on them now and then to see how they have advanced.

So, if it was possible to discover a populated planet in a previously unexplored system, perhaps it could be flagged up as a patrol mission to check on the tech status of the planet and maybe after a somewhat realistic time frame we can make that first contact and see if they want to join the federation. Woot, a new planet to visit and relax on and to trade stuff with.

Okay, think I've said enough now but Im sure my creative part of the brain can expand on this if someone doesn't beat me to it