Take out exploit effect, make ground combat 100% less tedious.
View Single Post
Join Date: Dec 2007
03-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by
I think the general consensus around here, and definitely within my fleet, is that ground combat is UNBEARABLY mind numbing, boring, tedious, and not fun. Oh, and ridiculously easy. I know for me it's nothing but incessantly mashing on buttons waiting fro the enemy to die, while I myself nor my bridge crew is presented with even the slightest bit of challenge or danger. I know they are changing something with the exploit/expose mechanics in the next update, but I have my own suggestion.
Get rid of exploit and just make it so that EVERY attack deals heavy damage to exposed enemies. All weapons with expose attacks will stay the same, and all weapons with exploit attacks would be changed to expose attacks. That way every secondary attack will have a chance to expose. Attacks on exposed enemies would deal not as much damage as an exploit would do now, but still, a nice big boost.
The cooldowns on exploit abilities are the only thing keeping them remotely balanced, so making every attack on an exposed target do extra damage sounds like a really bad idea. If you happen to get an expose on two targets at once, you either have to choose which one to hit, or use an AOE attack with a longer cooldown.
The only thing which makes the expose mechanic bearable in PvP is that if you put the exploit attack on cooldown early or do something to interrupt an exploit against a team-mate then you are safe for the 4 or 5 seconds it takes for the expose to wear off. Good players can survive an expose in PvP because exploits are a little more difficult than just spamming your primary attack for extra damage.
1. Removes the brain-dead binary nature of ground combat. It's not "strategy" and don't try to tell me it is.
I don't know, "having to plot out your attacks in advance while guessing at what attacks or counters your enemy might use" sounds like strategy to me.
2. Makes ground combat go by a lot faster.
I agree that PvE combat feels slow, but it's PvE. the Digital dragons will eventually die and you'll get your loot no matter what you do.
Ground PvP is too fast if anything. PvP fights are always a lot more fun when they go on for a minute or two.
3. Eliminates the annoyance of having to hopelessly watch your exposed enemy recover before your exploit attack recharges.
What do you expect when you refuse to use a strategy?
Save up your exploit attack for when you really need it, and if you want a faster cooldown then go for a single-target weapon instead of an AOE one, since single-target usually has a faster cooldown.
4. Limits the dependence on away team A.I. to intelligently set up and use exploit/expose combos.
Bring along other players if it's that big a deal.
Away teams are in PvE, and you can clear PvE content by just spamming your primary attack. Expose/exploit makes things faster, but it doesn't really matter because you are highly unlikely to "lose" in PvE.
5. It makes sense. An exposed enemy would take extra damage from pretty much any attack one would think.
Making exploits difficult is the way that Cryptic lets you vaporize players while still keeping the game somewhat balanced. In PvP when players complain about expose/exploit, it's not because people don't take enough damage, but because it's too easy to spam high-damage with certain abilities.
6. We all know this game is about ship combat. Might as well make the ground combat go by quicker.
That's just silly, what about Star Trek makes you think that the only combat is in ships?
7. Reduce the spawn sizes. Srsly, I'm taking out like 150 dudes every time I step foot on a planet. That doesn't feel right in the ST universe, and it severely adds to the tedium the combat already presents. You don't earn JACK for skill points on ground missions anyway, so who cares if you cut the number of mobs in half?
This I'd agree with, it's the one suggestion to speed up PvE without screwing with PvP.
I've previously mentioned that a vast reduction in enemy and player HP would make the ground combat a lot more fun as well. I still stand by that suggestion today. I literally lose ALL interest in the game as soon as I have my bridge officer tell me we need to beam down to the planet. If the ground combat was bad but still exciting in some way, I wouldn't mind. However, not only is it bad, but it's a total buzz kill. NEEDS SERIOUS OVERHAULIN'
A flat reduction in HP would be a bad idea, because players already die really fast when their shields drop in PvP.
If you wanted more exciting ground PvE I'd:
1. Increase NPC DPS.
2. Give "minion" NPCs much less health, so they die in 2 shots at most.
3. Include one or two tougher mobs in each pull that fight a lot more like players. Meaning that when the Swordmaster runs up to you, they ought to be spamming attacks on every global cooldown to keep you stunlocked and exposed until you are able to break the chain with a hold of your own or your away team peels him off of you. With the mobs having a 3 second timer between attacks, of course ground PvE is dull.