View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1344
03-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Tribbology probably sounds the more likely, however silly it sounds but I am sure there is a more generic term not affiliated with tribbles in particular. I just can't think of it at the moment. If there was more science involved I would say genetics but sigh, alas tis not.
I pulled out 'polygeminology' from their scientific name, since their genus and species is Polygeminus grex. I checked the definitions for different things that were very close to these proposed names.

Tribology is the study of interacting surfaces in motion, or basically the study of friction.
Polyology means 'verbosity'
Geminology is the study of twins.
When I did a google search on grexology and polygeminology, my post with this word was the first thing that showed up in the list. LOL

Since the little buggers reproduce like crazy, and polygeminus implies 'lots of twins', 'tribbologist' could be confused with 'tribologist', and 'tribblologist' is too hard to say 3 times fast, along with sounding a bit silly, may I recommend 'polygeminologist' for those of us who enjoying studying tribbles?