View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7 Minor Improvements to Genesis
03-23-2010, 06:22 AM
As usual on forums, I hesitate to open up my own thread for this, so I hop onto this one.

As it is now, the individual Genesis systems are still highly repetitive and similar. There are some minor things that I think could losen up things and make it more interesting.

1) Alternate pathes to success or less linearity
This has been touched upon on story missions, but usually we think on "grander" scale, changing the entire plot.
I think something very simple to improve genesis missions would be if there were simply different routes through space or ground combat to achieve your goal. Instead of having to access 5 generic computers and (optionally) 5 enemy combat teams guarding them, have different routes - maybe a longer one that goes around a few enemies, or a route that requires you to access more computers/scan more artifacts.
Adding a second route throught the typical "dungeon" shouldn't be that hard. If mini-games are ever added, this provides also a nice alternative - solve this mini-game to open a hatch, or just kill the 5 enemies guarding the other route.
Also, instead of scanning 5 computers in a row, how about just mixing it up - the first is a computer to understand the problem, the second, third and fourth are devices that need repairs, and the 5th computer is the same as the first (circular instead of linear! Now that's novel ), confirming the repairs worked or rebooting the system.

2) More variety in opposition.
Why do I always have to fight 5 groups Zinketans/Orions/whatever? Why can't it be occassionly just be 3 (especially since we have enemy-less quests, too). Or why can't it be two groups of enemies - some Orions and some Klingons? Especially in space it might be cool to fight a joint fleet of Romulan and Hirogen ship. Don't just tell me the Romulans and Hirogen are allied - show me!

3) Optional Goals
Have the player decide whether he is just "grinding through" and does the mission as fast as possible, or if he explores some other options. Or just have something like: "Don't kill anyone" (Federation) vs "Kill everyone" (Klingon) (of course this only makes sense if either is possible.)
Some story missions featured that already - when fighting a Hirogen hunting you on a planet, you have the option to disable some communication devices. If you do, the final attack is supposedly easier (Of course I disabled the Hirogen communication, so I don't know how it would work otherwise...) It doesn't change the plot, but it means I had a choice that changed the mission.

4) Let me feel in charge.
I remember a mission where my Tactical officer informs me that ZIneketans or some other aliens are attacking the colony where I investigate. She then tells me my ship is handling them in space, and security teams have beamed down to support the colonies. Why is she telling me that? I should tell him to do that, I am the Captain! Even if the outcome is still the same (and I don't actually have an option), it creates a different feel. I am not just a passive observer, I am in charge.