View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5 I couldn't agree more...
03-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi,

ValleyForge has an excellent point.

I understand the skill cap in place for RA5. I understand the purpose, that being to bring more people into the game without it spiralling out of control making the universe a non-enjoyable environment for new players.

However, given that whilst I am Tactical Commander now, through normal play I have about 6-8 BOFFS waiting to be commisioned, four in use and three or so empty BOFF slots on the side. As I have started to become familiar with how the mechanics work it is already horribly apparent that there is simply no incentive to develop or promote your BOFFS as the ship you will end up with as a RA will not be able to utilise them to even 50% (let's say) potential.

This is a rediculous notion.

How can it be possible for me to start the game as an Ensign and work my way through the ranks of Starfleet completeing hundreds of missions with the SAME BOFSS and find that I can still only assign "Ensign" and perhaps "Lt." Science Officers on a Ship that carries 1000 people? (I am have not based that last statement on actual specs so please don't flame me for it, the point still stands)

It is NOT realistic to castrate your BOFFS that have worked with you on every mission and have been promoted by YOURSELF and trained by YOURSELF and awarded skill points by YOURSELF only to have Starfleet neuter said officer due to the (RA Starship for example) being only able to cope with an Ensign/Lt station and therefore the appropriate powers for level 1/2 powers?

Let's look at two examples of Star Trek history:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 Episode 1 - Encounter at Farpoint
U.S.S. Enterprise-D - Galaxy Class Starship
Commanding Officer - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
First Officer - Commander William T Riker
Counsellor - Commander Deanna Troi
Chief Medical Officer - Doctor Beverly Crusher (Chief of Medical Staff)
Operations - Lt Commander Data
Conn - Lt Geordi LaForge
Security - Lt Commander Tasha Yarr
Reception/Security - Lt Worf
Engineering - A Lt. Commander at least? (I can't remember)
And of course Wesley Crusher....

Now let's fast forward to Star Trek: First Contact:

U.S.S. Enterprise-E - Sovereign Class Starship
Commanding Officer - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
First Officer - Commander William T Riker
Counsellor - Commander Deanna Troi
Chief Medical Officer - Doctor Beverly Crusher (Chief of Medical Staff)
Operations - Lt Commander Data
Conn - Lt Commander Geordi LaForge
Security - Commander Worf
Helmsman - Lt Sean Hawk

So even though Captain Picard is not an Admiral/Rear Admiral he commands at least four Commander level officers. In that vein, surely a Rear Admiral in STO should be capable of the same thing in a Tier 5 ship?

I realise I am playing devils advocate here, but I also believe that I am speaking common sense.

What is the point of being an officer in Starfleet if you can't be a Lt Commander in Science on the bridge of a Consitution class.... oh wait. So why can you only have an ENSIGN or a LT. of Science on a Star Cruiser?

I think I've made my point here. As time passes and people start to realise how futile their efforts were in creating kick-ass BOFFS so you will see a mssive spike in "redundancies" in the STO world, where un-employment should have been a thing of the past highly skilled BOFFS will be traded for almost no value on the various Exchanges.

My God Bones what have I done?

Thanking you in advance.

Jim
Commander of the U.S.S. Incandescent