View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
"I think the general consensus around here, and definitely within my fleet, is that ground combat is UNBEARABLY mind numbing, boring, tedious, and not fun. Oh, and ridiculously easy. I know for me it's nothing but incessantly mashing on buttons waiting for the enemy to die, "

- I agree though I spend my time mashing buttons trying to NOT die myself while making the NPC's die, PvP side I don't get chance to mash buttons as i'm usually killed by an expose / exploit combo within two seconds of entering a room dealt by someone or a group that I knew was in the room but couldn't target fast enough due to the clunky camera and ground motion controls.

Get rid of exploit and just make it so that EVERY attack deals heavy damage to exposed enemies. All weapons with expose attacks will stay the same, and all weapons with exploit attacks would be changed to expose attacks. That way every secondary attack will have a chance to expose. Attacks on exposed enemies would deal not as much damage as an exploit would do now, but still, a nice big boost.

- Good idea. It would definately make things more interesting for people who aren't that great on the ground, though I can see alot of the elite dirtside PvP junkies complaining because they can no longer solo kill someone in about 2-3 seconds.

1. Removes the brain-dead binary nature of ground combat. It's not "strategy" and don't try to tell me it is. - the red part I kind agree with, there isn't much stratagy used on the ground.

2. Makes ground combat go by a lot faster. - not so sure about this one unless you reduce their health and shileding

3. Eliminates the annoyance of having to hopelessly watch your exposed enemy recover before your exploit attack recharges. - personally I don't find that annoying, I do find it annoying to be killed repeatedly without much chance to fight back though

4. Limits the dependence on away team A.I. to intelligently set up and use exploit/expose combos. - you mean they actually try and do it? I've never seen that happen, I just give them all expose weapons and carry the exploit guns myself for PvE.

5. It makes sense. An exposed enemy would take extra damage from pretty much any attack one would think. - I agree with this one, if you're exposed you're far more likely to get hit IRL.

6. We all know this game is about ship combat. Might as well make the ground combat go by quicker. - Not necessarily but i would like ground combat to be a more engaging.

7. Reduce the spawn sizes. Srsly, I'm taking out like 150 dudes every time I step foot on a planet. That doesn't feel right in the ST universe, and it severely adds to the tedium the combat already presents. You don't earn JACK for skill points on ground missions anyway, so who cares if you cut the number of mobs in half? - it's crazy that your 5 person team should be expected to take on more than twice their number and survive with NO ill effects

I've previously mentioned that a vast reduction in enemy and player HP would make the ground combat a lot more fun as well. I still stand by that suggestion today. I literally lose ALL interest in the game as soon as I have my bridge officer tell me we need to beam down to the planet. If the ground combat was bad but still exciting in some way, I wouldn't mind. However, not only is it bad, but it's a total buzz kill. NEEDS SERIOUS OVERHAULIN' " - I agree with the red bit but not with the green bit. In PvP people can be killed rediculously fast though a SLIGHT reduction in player HP wouldn't be too bad and might soften the blow for the PvP'ers of having no way to kill you almost instantly.