View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Part III

Section III - Subsystems and Power and You

Power levels affect the performance of the various subsystems. In general, the higher the power, the better the performance of the system. The general rule of thumb for subsystem power levels is as follows. At power level 25, the system is on, but just barely functional. Power settings 50 is the base performance level of the subsystem (i.e. 1x). Power level of 75 is 2x the base. Power level 100 is 3x the base. And Power level 125 is 4x the base.

Weapon Subsystem
Another aspect of Power Transfer Rate is the Weapon subsystem. Energy weapons (i.e. Phaser Array, Dual Beam Arrays, Cannon, etc) draw off of a power capacitor (or energy reservoir) which is also your Weapon Power level. Also the amount of damage your energy weapons do it directly proportional to the current level of Weapon Power. This is a very important part of ship combat management as explained below.

The size of the Weapons Capacitor is your current Weapon power setting. As energy weapons fire they draw energy from the weapons capacitor. You can fire one energy weapon without any pentalty. For every addition energy weapon you fire, it draws 10 energy (This does vary a bit from weapon to weapon) from your Weapon power. For example, if you have Weapon power setting of 100 and you fire 2 Phaser Arrays, that will draw down you Weapon power to 90. Four Phaser Arrays would draw down Weapon Power to 70.

Energy Weapon power drain is also very different from other power drains in the game. Weapon power system drained by weapon fire doesn't return at the Power Transfer Rate. The drained power returns instantly after the fire cycle of a weapon completes. I've tested enhancing the Power Transfer Rate via engineering consoles, Captain Skills and Abilities. There is a slight benefit from having some PTR buff. Weapon's firing cycles drain and restore power so rapidly that any help from PTR is greatly diminished even with PTR buffs into the 600+% range. It does help weapon power from being bottomed out by 5 units when firing lots of enegy weapons. But I don't recommend trying to max out Electro-Plasma Systems and slotting lots of RCS Flow Regulator consoles. It wll not be worth the effots. There are many other consoles you can put into those Engineering Console slots.

Shields Subsystem

Your Deflector Shields (or just Shields) are your primary defence again enemy weapon fire. In general, shields have two basic attributes. First is Capacity. That is the amount of damage that the Shield can absorb. Each shot diminishes the shield's damage capacity. When a shield facing capacity is depleted, your ship's hull is now open to direct weapon damage. The second attribute is Regeneration Rate. This is the rate at shield your shield's damage capacity is replenished.

What does Ships power have to do with shields? Well other than being on, The shield Subsystem power level affects the Shield's Regeneration Rate. At power level 25, the shields are up and provide protection. But there is zero shield regeneration. At power level 50, the shields have their base regeneration rate. At power level 75, the shields have 2x the regeneration rate, and so forth accord to the general rules given above.

A recent change is that shields also have a certain amount of damage resistance vs damage to the shields. This reduces the amount of damage done to the shield itself (i.e it's Capacity as discussed above). This shield damage resistance does not reduce the amount of damage done to the hull. The amount of damage resistance is directly proportional to the Shield Power Level. The formula as stated by the devs is: Power level / 357.12. So damage resistance is a maximum of 35% at level 125.

Also note that a lot of the shield buffing powers also add a certain amount of shield damage resistance as well. Shield damage resistance doesn't stack like hull damage resistance. Shield damage resistance buffs are multiplicative. Each shield resistance ability is a scalar that is multiplied against the incoming damage. So 2 abilities that gives 25% resistance would be DMG * (1 - .25) * (1 - .25) = 0.75 * 0.75 = DMG * .75 * .75. Shield damage resistance has a hard cap of 75%.

Engine Subsystem

Power for the engine subsystem is simple. The higher the engine power level the faster your max speed is at full throttle. And the better your ship's turning rate. One combat aspect that player don't generally know about is Defence. Going faster means you are harder to hit. At Impulse Factor 20, your ship have 25% Defence from speed. The maximum amount of defence from speed tops out at 50% at roughly Impulse Factor 35.

Note: With zero engine power, your ship is quite literally a sitting target. You can't move, you can't turn except at a snail's pace and you have a -15% Defense. Like I said a sitting duck. Once nice Impulse Engine attribute is [Aux]. Aux allows your ship to move at 1/4 speed even if Engine Power or Impulse Engine is disabled.
Full Impulse
Full Impulse is a special throttle mode which gives a massive boost to sublight speed. Full Impulse diverts all ship's power to the Engine Subsystem. Your power settings go to 5/5/100/5. When you exit Full Impulse, your Subsystems power levels have to build back up to their nominal levels at the Power Transfer Rate. At the default Power Transfer Rate, it will take 24 second for a subsystem to build from power level 5 to power level 125

Something to bear in mind. If you are a run and gun type that Full Impulse's into weapon range and open's fire, you aren't going to be very effective. Your Energy Weapons and Shields are going to be barely functional at power level 5. You effectively are shining a flashlight on the target and your Shields are paper thin with no regneration.
Auxiliary Systems

Auxiliary Systems are basically everything else. But not everything is affect by the Auxiliary System power level. Many Science Officers abilities are affected by Auxiliary Power level. For example, the amount of shield power that is drain buy Tachyon Beam ability is proportional to the Auxiliary Systems power level. Auxiliary power also affects certain Engineering abilities, as well, including ships hull repair. In short the higher Auxiliary power the better the skills are or the faster things happen. Don't neglect your Auxiliary Systems, they may just save your ship and crew when you least expect it.

Most of the healing abilities (hull and shield) are dependent on Aux power. Auxiliary Systems power has become just as important as other power levels. And the scaling factor has changed for from the previous builds. Auxiliary Systems ship power efficacy (strength) of skills is a linear scale at 100% at power level 100 down to 50% at power level 25. And pushing Auxiliary Systems does make the abilities stronger than normal.

Another major system tied into Auxiliary Power Level are Klingon ships which have Hanger Bays. Hanger bays require Auxiliary Power to launch fighters (and other things). The vessel recharge times are tied to Auxiliary Power level as well. The old hanger recharge times are based on have Auxiliary Power at 100. Auxiliary Power of 115 shaves approx 8% off of total recharge times. Auxiliary Power of 25 increases Recharge times by one third (i.e. +1/3).

Section IV - What does it all mean?

Well I saw right off that a ship's power was very important. And I'm a mini-maxer at heart. So it was natural I drifted towards maximizing ship power. My first character that I creating during head start is a Tactical Captain now a Rear Admiral/5 in a Reconnaissance Science Vessel. I invested very heavily in all of the ship power skills, and a couple key Engineering Consoles (EPS Flow Relay and +6 Shield Subsyatem power). But I have not invested in the Auxiliary Systems Performance skill. This what you can achieve if you really try:

Attack.....(100/50/25/25).->.114/80/53/53
Defense....(50/100/25/25).->.74/120/53/58
Speed......(25/25/100/50).->.54/64/109/74
Balanced...(50/50/50/50)..->.76/80/69/74
Custom.....(30/35/30/100).->.61/70/59/115

Note: Custom (Balance) is because I'm a Science ship

As you can plainly see, my ship's performance levels in any mode is 2 or 3 times better than a base ship.

Section V

Extras
PatricianVetinari has a most excellent Ship Power Calculator. It's a spread sheet that will allow you to play "What if...?". You can tweak, prod and poke at things to get a feeling of how every thing interacts. The more optimum power settings are sometimes not the most obvious settings.

Updates:

And this is version 2.0 of my guide. There were some a few errors on my part in the first guide. And I'm going to include some equations that others on the forums have figured out. Thanks to Tiran_Diaz and Binkenstein. Maths and I just don't mix unless I put on my thinking cap.

Version 3.0 of my guide incorporates all of the new changes from the Season 1.2 update. There are a bunch of changes to abilites and ship power bonuses.

Version 3.1 Speeling Error

Version 3.2 Added Section V, Extras with PatricianVetinari's Ship Power Calculator. And the extra power settings for each power allocation in Section IV.

Version 3.3 More speeling error fixed. And updates Corrected Shield Damage Resistance explanation and added changes to Shield for Season 2.0 update.

Version 3.4 Reformatted the Ship Types Power Bonus section. Added the 3 new Klingon ships. Moved guide updates log to end of guide.

Version 3.5 More spelling, equipment changes, and shield changes.

Version 4.0 Updated skills sections for space skills revamped in the Season 5 game update. With more spelling and syntax errors fixes.