View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Pleonast, even if Space Flight is disorienting, there's no excuse to not be able to move up and down. 85 degree angle might be more bearable but the space flight is silly.

As far as making this game approachable for new players, fail.

I am a veteran MMO player and I still have trouble finding things. Maps only tell you who's in the current room with you. They don't have anything named. Fed side is difficult, Klink side is near impossible unless you just memorize it. Trying to find people sucks. I have relented and had to just ask in zone chat if someone knew where something was. Not to mention all of the noob harassment that used to go on over "Sulu" (fortunately this was not a problem I ever had). Some things are intuitive and I appluad Cryptic for that, but most things are not and it's only through lots of fiddling around and trial and error that I have figured out where things are.

Here's an example, consoles. I used to mouse over them to find out what they did, information came up. But the information wasn't really helpful. I played for a while wondering what skills they helped. I asked several people both friends and in zone chat. Nothing, no one could answer it or no one would. Last week, I was moving one and I right clicked it ... voila! up came the info I had been looking for. Now, normally I would right click things for info ... but since I moused over and info came up, I naturally didn't not think there was a second step to actually getting the information I wanted. That's only one example. Let's not even get into ship sensors that can pinpoint a spot to drop livings beings on a planet with a dust storm but they are not strong enough to find hunks of metal sticking out of the sand. Bah.

Anyway, space combat needs to feel like space, not water. They deviated from enough Trek things to compensate for this and could have had truly epic space combat. You can be an apologist all you want but I am going to have to respectfully disagree.