View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 36 Interior Team Missions
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I am happy to see this discussion going on. Interior (combat and non-combat) missions are a critical component of the genre. Cryptic has a rule that needs to be followed: all missions are designed to accomodate up to five players. I am proposing an approach that might accomodate most people's, but especially Cryptic's goals: multi-player ships.

First, it would be great to have a live bridge crew enabling more abilities of each ship. Each bridge officer controlling their specific station from their computer. Limits on station capabilities would still exist, but perhaps a really good tactical/science/engineering officer might get one more option out of his station.

Second, being on a multi-player ship could be like being in a fleet, optional. No changes to the experience rate for bridge officers. No changes at all really. Just give players a choice to invite other players onto their ship and take the role of one of the existing bridge officers. Perhaps we'll broaden the player-population to those individuals a little more passive. They like Star Trek, they like doing things with their friends, but they don't want to compete and be as active, which eventually gets their characters out-of-level with their friend's characters, so they stop playing. I have had that experience, I am sure I am not alone.

Third, interior missions could be a voluntary setting on the controls. They happen whenever you plot a course to a new destination, giving you the option to accept. You complete the interior mission, you show up at your destination. No flying through the vastness of space. If you don't want interior missions, just turn them off and it's like they never existed. The game remains exactly the same.

Fourth, I would suggest having a different type of reward that is not part of character-leveling to keep in balance with players not interested in doing interior missions, accolades in ten-forward or some such thing. Perhaps unlocking items in the captain's quarters, more for a sense of accomplishment, like trophies on the shelf.

Okay, that's all I have. But I will use this opportunity to suggest a couple other ideas I have read in the forums. Holodeck missions, how can you not have them? It opens up the entire imagination... Sherlock Holmes, Gunfight at the OK Corral (not orignally a holodeck mission), Robin Hood, etc.

Finally, building your own fleet by building your bridge officers to become captains. They already fight and hold their own on away missions, there should be no problem of making them look like Federation ships to follow you around and hold their own in epic space battles.