View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Yes the Enterprise-D (AGT) had a cloak, but the Pasteur didn't did it? It was never explained why the ship had a cloaking device, but that stuff aside I'm not arguing that it's canon for the Galaxy-X to have cloak, in fact you can post search me and see that I was fine with it having cloak when it was part of the referral program (namely because it would be a rarely seen ship).
Well, the Pasteur was a medical ship, the Enterprise a dreadnought. And it's funny, because I'm against the Galaxy-X having a cloak. It was explained, that there was no Romulan Empire to speak of left in that timeline and that's why the Federation got the cloak. This doesn't apply here, so I'm against it.

Quote:
The issue here is that the Federation should not have cloaking on a wide scale, and that's exactly what will happen when this thing goes to the C-Store; every assault cruiser captain (and many star cruisers) will buy it thinking that it will make them 'uber' or some stupid sh** and that they'll stop sucking at PvP, only to find that it's not the cloak that gives the Klingons the upper hand in pug matches (ooooh their tears will sustain me!!!).
So what's your problem? Personally I am sure that the Sovereign is the better ship. I'm still planning to get a Galaxy-X. Why? Style. I don't care for the cloak, but I love the look of the Galaxy and want to fly it on T5. (Okay, I'm no PvPer, so I don't affect you anyway.)
What would be so horrible if Federation ships could get a cloak? You say it yourself: It won't make them better in PvP. So as long as Klingon ships and Fed ships are balanced (meaning you get your hull buffed when the feds get cloak.

Quote:
In Roddenberry's own words, "Our heroes don't sneak around."
Roddenberry didn't want war for more than one episode either. Just look at DS9...

Quote:
It's not a times change sort of thing, the same President that signed the Ban on research into cloaking technology is still in office in 2409 and it's nowhere near an election year. With the war with the Klingons he will want to keep the Romulans from getting too ****ed and if he lifted the ban then they would really get angry.
The Romulans are already angry. The whole point of the Romulan story arc for the Feds is to dissuade them from all-out war through force. Part of it is destroying a Romulan fleet, that prepares to cross borders to bombard Vulcan with subspace weapons and a secret fleet of Borg-enhanced ships. They specifically state that Sela would declare war if she could. And politcians can change their policies if they become to unpopular. The person he made that agreement with is a crazy mass-murderer and her replacement is a crazy wannabe mass-murderer. Add a lot of dead Starfleet officers to the mix and that's a recipe for becoming unpopular.