Thread: CLoaKinG
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
A Defiant with universal stations makes no sense at all. It's a ship designed for battle, it shouldn't "accidentally" be outfittable with lots of science abilities!
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. On the one hand, I agree that seeing a Defiant with all Sci or Engie abilities would seem contrary to the spirit of it's intended design, but (and there's always a but... ) isn't the stuff that's specifically geared toward combat all a design configuration issue? Meaning the size of the warp core, the placement of the nacelles, things like that.

I mean, and this is going off the reservation here, completely outside the box, but shouldn't we, as captains have the option of assigning whoever we want to any given station on the ship? The stations themselves are all LCARS based consoles, and we've seen time and again in the shows and books that you can transfer the functions of one to the other...

(Let me be clear here, I want to see more things to make the Klingon faction unique, not less.)

I'm thinking the way things are set up now is strictly as a gameplay mechanic, not really dictated by canon anyway. Just like we only get 4 fore weapons, instead of the more canonically recognized numbers for fore, aft, ventral and dorsal.

Anyway, shouldn't all ships have universal stations? Maybe there are recognized presets to give you a baseline, somewhere to start from, but... would it be better if we could completely customize them across the board?

And as a result of that, (a loss of a unique option, but only for those that run BoPs) maybe make something else unique to each faction? It's always bugged me that both sides equip the exact same shields, weapons, deflector dishes, Impulse engines... maybe those should all be different, unique to each side. I mean, does anybody think that a Klingon Battlecruiser should have sensors as precise as those used on a Science Vessel in Starfleet?

I'm not sure what I'm suggesting here, to be honest, but I guess overall what I'd like to see is truly unique options for both factions, not just cosmetic choices. Between the two factions, what is really different or unique to them?

1. BoPs get universal stations and a battle cloak.
2. Battlecruisers can equip dual cannon-type weapons.
3. All ships excluding the BoP and the Carrier get a standard cloak.

And that's really it. Our shields are the same, weapons, skills, abilities, engines, sensor packages... everything is identical. We don't get a crew-warrior bonus to repel boarders, we don't get skills that reflect our warrior based culture... not really. We don't get to join and fight for or a house, no conquest of lesser worlds... And the Feds should be just as unique, with the emphasis on free thought, adaptability, discovery and curiosity about the galaxy around them.

So what am I saying? I think somebody needs to sit down and come up with some ways for the two factions to really be unique, and not just different shapes of the same things.