View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
I have the file zipped because I didn't want Google Docs displaying it natively. Mostly because the Google version negatively alters some of the sheet's aesthetic design, specifically the help text and some of the field titles.

Also, I'm a download/save-as kind of guy. I'm just old school that way, I guess.

When I originally posted it for sharing on Google, I picked them because I knew I could generically host a file there that anyone could grab. I didn't take time to find a proper "file sharing host" (I know there are many out there). And since updating, I still haven't. No one has seemed to mind or have any other problems with it.

That said, I'm always open to suggestion. I had never heard of Office Web Apps. I'll look into it when I get a chance, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it too!
I'm not surprised you haven't heard of Office Web Apps. It was released a month ago and there's been almost zero advertising for it. Not entirely surprising as they don't want to cannibalize sales of Office, but it really is a great thing because it's compatible with Office documents in a way Google Docs will never be, and for most users it's powerful enough to replace Office. I opened up your spreadsheet in both OWA and Office and they look and work almost exactly the same (the only difference I could find: the OWA truncates the final 0 in the date at the bottom right. LOL.)

EDIT: I just uploaded your spreadsheet to my Google Docs account to check it out, and you're right, the aesthetic is truly horrible. It works, but it's ugly as hell.

BTW I've sent you a PM with the URL to my SkyDrive storage so you can check out how your spreadsheet fares under OWA without having to do any work. I think you'll agree it looks way better than the Google Docs version.