View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Traditionally a Frigate has been a ship of varying class. Frigates in the age of sail were fast maneuverable vessels with one or two gun decks. They sat just under ships of the line like the fourth rate. Frigates then vanished for a time, I do not believe there were any true Frigates in WW1 and WW2 because their niche was taken by cruisers. This made the fleet line up Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleship, Carrier. With submarines as free agents.

Frigates came back during the cold war as Electronic Warfare and Missile platforms. And took their place between Destroyers and Cruisers. Seeking from history this could be a solid way to go instead.

A federation Frigate class vessel could offer a free BO design. I think I would limit it to 3 aft and three for weapons. But give it a bonus to Torpedo's and Mines. The thing though is that the high tech ship that the frigate would be is already taken by the Sci vessels. So it is hard to discern where it really should go.

I think the easier path would be to just keep going up and offer a Battleship/Dreadnought class. That that to poses it's own hazards.