View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNoir View Post
I just mean, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of change.

We're down here so that we can vent without many, if any, prospective customers seeing our complaints.

The fact is, Cryptic has locked up a fanatical customer base that will pay any price for any product with the "Star Trek" branding. That is why the Excelsior is only available on the C-Store, that is why the Nebula is going to be only available on the C-Store, and the T'Pol jumpsuit... anything from the shows is going into the C-Store and the C-Store only. Because Trekkies will pay for that stuff, even if that stuff doesn't really exist, can only be utilized in one particular instance that can't be accessed without paying a monthly fee, and will be lost forever when the server shuts down.

Cryptic seems content to base their business model on milking the fanatics, even if it means alienating the more moderate fans, or even people who just like the game but care nothing for "Star Trek".

I think it's a short-sighted and ultimately unsustainable business model, as they're essentially trading away long-term subscriptions for one-time purchases, but maybe I'm wrong. Cryptic apparently thinks so.
Jack knew exactly what he was doing when he bought out the rights to the IP . . . ch-ching! It was a smart investment.

But I've decided to stop banging my head against the wall and instead approach my criticisms of the C-store from an "ok, it's not going away, that doesn't mean we can't criticize it and possibly improve on it for the good of both Cryptic and their customers alike."

I refuse to be bullied (by some posters around here, not Cryptic) into the false dichotomy of "Love it or leave it". I'll "Stay and Question" for as long as I choose to keep paying my monthly fee.

Since first making the original post I have now re-read and slightly editted it at least a dozen times to make my claims as cogent and as applicable as possible. Whatever happens at least I can say I did not much, at the very least I made a reasoned argument supporting my views.