View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 2023
09-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylbanus
In the mean time, just long on to your web radio via your web browser and play it that way. Then just log in and you will still get your audio. Be sure to turn of the game music, or you will just have a cacophony. Should you find you want to change the station you'll have to Alt/Tab out and change it then go back into the game. Temporary fix, but it works..
Of course i do that already, thanks for the tip though, will be good for others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylbanus
I agree 100%, but I had to come to accept that a vast majority of MMO players want 75% violence and 25% talk. Look at the number 2 and 3 quickest MMO failures. Number 2, "Seed" was a social/cerebral game only, no combat or violence and it lasted only 149 days. Then the number 3, "Fury" was a combat only game that was just a PvE/PvP grind and they threw in the towel after 294 days. Morality plays and cerebral pursuits are more in line with the Star Trek Universe, I know that would be more of how Gene would have it, but we have to face facts in that people want some storyline and a lot of action. At least out of their MMNOs. When it comes time that all this can be done for less money then we can have more focused games, but until that time we will just have to deal.
Agreed, yet I feel that software developers will have the ability (if they are any good) to come up with something refreshing and new, even if it is something the majority of the mmo-flock is not familiar with or even happy with. It just takes some guts and imagination. Sure, kids will shout like cry babies that they want more action, but the more adult crowd (who have the money to pay for the game) will prefer a mental challenge over mindless action, or I do assume so. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I am no moral knight, but to see people type: "I want to kill stuff"... I just shake my head to that.

I am for one very tired of all the violence, which is like a disease spreading not only in games, but television as well. Even the cartoons for kids nowadays are filled with violence. And yes, I am very aware this is probably not a discussion that belongs here, but it's still something to stop and think about.

Sex or nudity however, specially in the USA, is still taboo. In contrast to evenings filled with adultery, murders, blood and violence on television is too silly for words.

To stay on topic about MMO's, I think someone has to set an example of how compassion, intelligence, imagination and in general morality can prevail on mindless violence and hatred.
With it's history, there is no better choice to apply the above than Star Trek.

Though, then money comes around the corner and every good intention is dropped, even own fundamental rules are dropped or changed because of money.

I just hope someone has the guts to make a change someday to turn the tide, even on a seemingly small influential base like a mmo, it does have a psychological impact on the people that play it.