View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
Uh no. Both ships were holding back. In a fight like that a smaller more mobile ship wins.

Old design new tech argument is dumb. The Excelsior had a long life and was able to be refit But why would you have the TOS connie here now when most if not all were refit to be the TMP Connie. The NX-01 as a refit T5 is stupid.
Not to mention that there could be compatibility issues. Some hulls just aren't made to accept 25th-century technology. This would be especially true for the NX-class, who only started using the phaser technology (and true shields, too, I believe) towards the end of the series. It had phase cannons and polarized hull plating that served as its main defenses for most of its life. I seriously doubt that a 250-year old (or so) design can handle the stress of what we are using now. Even a Constitution-class would probably be pushing the boundaries of believability based on what was used then and what it being used now. At least we know that the Excelsior-class can equip this technology with relative ease (as shown in TNG and DS9).

Again, I also point to the fact that the Constitution and NX classes are both retired ships and have been for a long time. It's not like we're playing Battlestar Galactica where we can take a museum ship and have it fight as the main battleship in the middle of an intense war.