View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyn
mmk, so i was reading one of the MMO news sites covering UGC in STO and there was concern over whether it was FAIR for devs to implement a feature that was essentially charging people a monthly sub to develop content for them.

yeeeea, i don't think that's happening, the devs won't head to the beach once UGC comes out...
(they can't... dev skin vaporizes on contact with sunlight)
some guy in Texas with a $139 tricorder replica won't be crafting our weekly episodes on a Mountain Dew fueled fanfic spree
(he'll be in the Cryptic office)
BUT i think there will always be the possibility that someone will create something so kick-ass that the devs will integrate it into the game
(like a sticky... in the forum of our hearts...)
Sooo if this situation comes to pass would the creators get a lil sum'n sum'n? like C-Moneys?
Umm, no; (it would cause a mess with the California 'contractor for hire' labor laws that Cryptic has to abide by). What you get is the knowledge and recognition that your mission story and design was deemed good enough to be incorporated into the 'main game' (and not just be part of the 'Foundry Tab mission list.)

Also, 'The Foundry' is a completely optional feature. In effect, you aren't paying for the tools to 'do the content developers jobs for them'; you are deciding to make use of a completely optional feature that allows you to create a story/mission in STO; or not. Whatever you decide to do with regard to using/not using 'The Foundry' system; it has no effect on your actual STO gameplay experience that you pay for.