View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully
Another approach could just be to have a player ranking system so that Queue can try to group players of similar skill levels. (The ranking would probably need to be based on wins and losses of matches, and not on DPS or healing. The latter would be a full 100 % useless ranking.)
This is actually a really great idea, I think. There's already talk from Cryptic of implementing proper PvP stat tracking and leaderboards, so it would be a natural step to try and link players together in a match by stats.

However, the idea that premades should only fight other premades is itself fraught with problems.

My biggest issue with the notion is that it presupposes that all Pugs suck. This is simply not true. Perhaps many of them suck. Perhaps even a majority. But not all. I've seen PUGs beat up plenty of premades - and I've been on both the giving and receiving end of those beatings. Especially in C&H, it's possible for a clever PUG to outmaneouvre and beat a better premade in order to win the mission (and as fun as endless pew pew in C&H can be, let's never forget that a true soldier always remembers the mission).

If you're in a PUG and find yourself confronted with a premade, yes, it means the odds are likely to be stacked against you. But I find there are few greater joys in PvP in this game, than sucking it up, and taking that as a challenge to raise your game to their level - and then give them an unexpected bloody nose.

And let me tell you, for a premade, there are few things as humbling as getting beaten up by a PUG which just happened to consist of 5 very good individual players who chose to work together. It can and does happen.

Finally, it's downright ludicrous to tell premade players "you shouldn't be allowed to queue with you and your friends for any PvP match" you want, and expect us only to play other fleet premades all the time. It takes a level of organisation and scheduling to set up decent fleet vs. fleet matches, and it simply cannot be done constantly.

Premade PvPers tend to be voracious in their appetite for PvP - they want to do it nearly all the time they're logged in. Fleets will have PvP groups running all through primetime, with people dropping in and out as they come and go on- and off-line. You cannot set up enough premade vs. premade matches to feed that appetite. And moreover, sometimes, as much of a joy as the challenge of another good premade is (win or lose), you just want a nice bit of casual, mindless pew-pew. The queues are perfect for that.

So, sometimes, they're just bored, in no particular mood for the epic challenge of another premade (a match like that can also take an extraordinarily long time to complete between two evenly matched teams, so much so you end up with RSI by the end). It's their right to go into the queues looking for some quick, easy wins against PUGs (which also serves to keep them in practice for the premade matches).

Sorry that you sometimes end up serving as their target practice; but you can't demand they not fight you, that's why it's consensual PvP. You enter a PvP queue, you conset to being viciously ganked by whatever horrible premade may be out there. You don't get to choose your opponent and say "This guy/these guys are too hard for me, I don't want to have to fight them."

Fight them, try your best to beat them, and most of all, learn from the beatings they give you. Then, one day, you'll have your revenge.

TL;DR - Carebears are valid free meals for premades. Suck it up.