View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Um, sure, that's why her canon designation is "Explorer Type-2"...
As I stated, Starfleet's "We're explores first" is a facade. The only reason the Federation establishes a Utopia is because the more allies the more powerful the empire- I mean organization. The Federation doesn't have this sense of moral responsibility to make peace with everyone. Though they hold true to certain values, they only bring people into the Federation if it's a benefit to the society. It's a lot easier to convince people to join your cause if you promote ideals of peace and that unity is best for both of us. Do you really think that if a world was discovered containing rich amounts of Dilithium would not be approached by the Federation if it was a pre-warp society? H*** no! The Federation would hang the Prime Directive and jump at getting the minerals as soon as possible. And what about a planet that has nothing to offer to the Federation? Would they be accepted just cause they want to join the club? Nope. If anything, they would get the Puerto Rico treatment where they'll let their people serve in the military and use the planet as a strategic point for a Starbase, but they would not get official Federation enrollment like Puerto Rico doesn't get to be a State.

All in all my point is, Starfleet's "Seek new life and new civilizations" is actually a nicer way of saying "Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own." That's right, the Federation isn't much different than the Borg. So yes, they have assault ships and the Sovereign is a Battleship. So too is the Galaxy. It was retrofitted for Battleship use right after "Best of Both Worlds." If the Federation truly was a force for peace, why do they need to arm their ships?