View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 71
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I have 2 main storylines I want to pursue.

The first is a diplomatic mission to the planet of my main character's species; and a good chunk of it will be spent simply getting to know them, their culture, and their past. (Of course, me, being me, there will be at some point, explosions. It's not the primary focus, at least as far as I've written it, so far.) Obviously given that most of the mission is about learning who these people are, I'd rather not give anything away here.

The second is much more combat focused, based around the Starfleet Marine Corps. I'm mostly going to be making things up as a go with that; as I don't really want to go digging through the books they appear in (and to my knowledge they never appear in primary source canon at all) - so my SFMC is probably going to be different than what people may have read about. Still, the basic idea is to really dig into the Klingon/Federation war and make it feel... well like a war.

It's long been an irritation of mine that, in spite of there being a massive quadrant-ripping war between two of the largest powers around... it pretty much stops coming up outside of PVP past level 16. It doesn't really feel like much of a war at all; more like a set of random skirmishes against a mad Klingon (B'vat) and his forces.

So I want to put the player in a position where they are right in the middle of a major campaign; and follow the whole thing from beginning to end. I'll probably draw some inspiration from the Pacific theatre of WWII; as planet-hopping can be relatively analogous to island hopping, and the Klingons are certainly of the sort who'd rather dig in and die fighting rather than surrender in any large numbers.

If it goes well I may do an in-reverse version, where you play the Klingon side of the same campaign, start out on the defensive, and then turn it around.

The main difficulty I see with this campaign is that, I want it to really draw in ground-focused captains; people with concepts similar to my main; Marines, Commandos, Section 31 black ops units, etc... While I want to keep it very Trek; it's going to be much closer to the deep end of DS9 rather than the high points of TNG.

The problem is, I don't want it to be totally off-putting to players who maybe aren't perhaps the most militaristic; or even ground-focused - In theory getting them involved by ferrying troops and providing ship support makes a lot of sense. I just have to figure out how to make it all work. Maybe it'll be the sort of thing where I'll offer 2 separate chains, one of which follows the space-focused side of the campaign, and the other focused on the dirtside aspect...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the tools and my personal interest let me do.