View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 108
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
The reason weapon power affects DPS in a non-linear way is because the power drain is constant. So, firing 2 beams at 100 energy drains 10 power, and firing 2 beams at 50 energy drains 10 power. The thing is, 10 power is only 10% of 100, but it's 20% of 50. Which means, theoretically, ignoring all of the other quirks, two weapons firing at 100 power will do 90% damage of a single weapon, but two firing at 50 will only do 80% of the damage of a single weapon. So, the impact of the drain is bigger at lower power levels. This is one of my biggest criticisms of the current weapon power system, as it would be better if the drain was percentage based and thus resulted in the same basic curve at every energy level.

Now when you add the extra quirks of some weapons having more down time, some having more upfront damage, etc, the theory gets distorted a lot, which is why I haven't been able to figure out a way to calculate the results at different power levels.

I'm sure BigBadB's formula is accurate for a given weapon firing at a given energy level, but the drain itself is non-linear, which results in the different graph results.