View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
While I somewhat understand your point, I think every game, that is not completely based on RNG, will be dominated by players with more time to invest. May it be better gear or just more experience. You cannot compete when you're investing just a small part of the time like others do. And that is the way it should be.

I personally like the new stuff, just because it shows, Cryptic pays attention to itemization at last. This specific stuff isn't a must have (not in pvp at least) and I doubt you will be kicked out of a STF group because you haven't got all parts together.

So it's a tiny step into the right direction, evolving STO into a serious MMO. We can all just hope this is nothing more but the merely beginning of it.
I agree, I LOVE the customization and itemization, and I really do hope that it is just the beginning. But I REALLY hope that this does not become the end all, be all for the game. I want STO to be a serious MMO, I feel that it is, I just want to make sure that it stays true to it's roots when it advertised it was for both serious and casual gamers, which it has been so far.

I have been able to dedicate time seriously, but have also been hamstrung by real life (like all of us) from time to time. I just don't want this to become "No Fun" for some people based on "Having to Have" certain pieces of gear.

That is all I am saying (REALLY), that is what ruined WOW for me and to a lesser extent EVE. Both are games that I enjoyed playing, but once there was a "Gear Race" gap for me and others, it became less fun because you became fair game to the campers. gankers, etc. Now STO admittedly has a built in firewall currently in the form of PVP venues, but with the call for open PVP in all sectors by some, this has the potential to go down that road.

My rant is just my initial reaction to something I saw as potentially ruining all of the improvements they have been making throughout the year. I love the fact that this MMO is not a "gear quest" game and that is what keeps me playing, I know I am not the only one who feels that way, I just wanted to say it. If the gear is added but kept in check somehow, then I don't care what another player adds to their ship. It's theirs and they are paying to play, so enjoy. But when I feel that I am being forced to use or add something that doesn't fit my character, play style, or side, just to play day to day, then I see THAT as a problem. Having it as an option = Great, compelling me to use it to compete = Sucks.

Not flaming you, I am just responding to your valid point.