View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1024
12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
No, they're not. There is a difference between characters who are "everyday heroes" and exotic exceptions. I touched upon that topic recently here.
What's an "everyday hero"?

Quote:
All characters are unique, but not all characters are special in a way that makes them stand out from everything else. I guess it boils down to gameplay preferences if you want such characters on your table or not - I don't, so I find the rules adequate. YMMV.
That depends on the setting but often heros are special because of the fact that they are adventuring in a group of mixed species alone. And look at the 40k RPGs. Charakters in Dark Heresy are people who were noticed and employed by an Inquisitor. An Inquisitor doesn't have much use for a generic guardsman. He can commandeer a whole regiment just to provide a snack for Tyranids until the Space Marines arrive. So in some way DH character should be special. Same for Rogue Trader and triple that for Deathwatch.

Quote:
As for your special case: The way you have approached the realization of your concept it sounds as if you basically tried to build a barbarian scientist. That does not work. And it shouldn't.
Eh, nope. Barbarian scientist is a bad expression for that. More of a Space Marine librarian without the Space Marine and psyker parts or a monk of St Leibowitz.

Quote:
I would have suggested a choice between these two options:
Both use Elite Advances which are simply a half-baked patch to cover up the lack of flexibility of the system. Even AD&D did better. And that says a lot.

Quote:
So you can either play a scholar with some warrior skills or a warrior with some scholar skills. You can not play Doctor Conan, but I refuse to see what's wrong with that. :p
I don't want Doctor Conan, just the chance to be able to choose the proportions of my skills. Both of the builds you're proposed have one class in which the character is good and one in which he has barely skills to speak of. There's no way to make him mediocre in both roles.

Quote:
I still don't see why that Arbitrator should suddenly be able to learn everything the Rogue picked up over decades in his unique lifestyle.
Because the rogue didn't really pick it up over decades. He picked it up when he spent xp on it. You have no problem with a Fighter in TDE spending XP to learn sneaking and lockpicking (without any pricing disadvantages) why not in DH?

Quote:
An Arbitrator going rogue will, with time, be able to pick up some new skills, but this can easily be realized by Elite Advances and should never extend to the Rogue's entire arsenal.
Yes, he will pick them up with time (meaning adventures he collects xp in while acting like a rogue and spending them on the appropriate skills).

Quote:
An Ex-Arbitrator is still an Arbitrator, and he will find it rather difficult to fit in with the other side of the law, given that it stands against everything he learned. You can't just "switch off" years of indoctrination, habit and experience (which will hinder learning new stuff) just because you as a player think Rogue skills would come in handy and you absolutely need them all.
An arbitrator who has fallen to chaos is most certainly not a player character, and no you can't "switch off" what he was before. But I don't think that it would hinder learning new skills, especially since there's a starting package that gives arbitrators Deceive (Fel), Intimidate (Str) and Peer (Underworld) in spite of all of their indoctrination (it's called Justice, Not Law).

I spent the last few days painting a venerable battle barge for my Space Marine chapter (and giving my Eldar pirate prince a shiny new blaster pistol).

http://fenvar.lima-city.de/Warhammer...fDestiny1a.jpg
http://fenvar.lima-city.de/Warhammer...fDestiny2a.jpg
http://fenvar.lima-city.de/Warhammer...fDestiny3a.jpg
http://fenvar.lima-city.de/Warhammer...fDestiny4a.jpg