View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1025
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
What's an "everyday hero"?
Characters who walk the thin line between doing extraordinary and legendary stuff - but most of all, characters whose background doesn't scream "special snowflake". It's just an opinion thing, and I understand that preferences are different (which, in the end, is why they released three 40k RPGs and not just one).

Quote:
I don't want Doctor Conan, just the chance to be able to choose the proportions of my skills. Both of the builds you're proposed have one class in which the character is good and one in which he has barely skills to speak of. There's no way to make him mediocre in both roles.
I still don't believe there should be a way to make him mediocre in both roles. Either he focuses on his role as a librarian, or he spent too much time as a warrior which makes learning scribbly stuff harder. It's not like the character himself would have any influence on this and could pick his daily schedule. He's a cog in the wheel and gets told what to learn - either by harsh life circumstances or by his superiors. The skillset should reflect this.

Quote:
Because the rogue didn't really pick it up over decades. He picked it up when he spent xp on it. You have no problem with a Fighter in TDE spending XP to learn sneaking and lockpicking (without any pricing disadvantages) why not in DH?
I'm perfectly fine with explaining this away as a "predestination". In my mind, the Rogue does not make a snap with his fingers and then he knows it, he finally succeeds in doing something he was working towards for years. I believe this to be much more believable, and .

As for the comparison, characters in TDE are not as "limited" in their lifestyle as people living in the 41st millennium. And if a character has happened to pick up such a uniquely rogue'ish talent due to his background, that's what talking with your GM and Elite Advances are for. But I do not believe in opening up everything of the Rogue's abilities just because a player has XP to spare. Either you have a classless system, or you have one with classes - the former is preferrable, but if you have to work with the latter, stick to it and make classes count. Again, YMMV.