View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 3 Section 2
12-07-2010, 04:53 AM
2.0 COMMANDS

I classify commands in three categories (these may or may not be the correct terminoloy, but it works for me.):

2.0.1 Executable

These commands cause an action/power to be perform once each time the command is given. (A sure giveaway is the presence of "exec" in the command.)

Ex: Distribute Shield Power = /+power_exec Distribute_Shields

2.0.2 Non-Continuous

These commands cause an action/power to be turned on or off during the press of a key.

Ex: Turn left = /+left

2.0.3 Continuous

These commands cause an action/power to be turned on or off until another user input cancels the action/power.

Ex: Turn left = /++left

2.1 Using Commands

Commands can be used/manipulated it two ways:

2.1.1 Chat Window

Entering a command in the chat window requires that it be prefixed with '/' (forward slash). Without it whatever command you type will be merely be seen in the chat channel you currently have selected.

You can get a list of commands available by typing (in the chat window):

/cmdlist

(Yeah, you've just used your first command.) This command will generate a list of commands in the [system] chat channel which can usually be found under the NPC tab and is yellow by default. I have compiled a list of these commands here. This is the default list generated. (I may update the annotated sheet's comment section as time allows.)

This method uses the syntax: /bind <key> <toggle><command> <Param1><Param2> ...

2.1.2 Bind File

Entering commands in the bind file requires the bind file to be loaded before the binds become usable.

Either method will generate the same result. Personally, I prefer to use the bindfile and load the file afterward. This has the benefit of being able to see all the other binds previously created, so you don't reuse keys for different commands. If you end up using one key for different commands, only the last bind will be used.

This method uses the syntax: <key> "<toggle><command> <Param1><Param2> ..."

2.2 Clearing Binds

This command will erase all user generated binds and restore the Cryptic defaults.

/unbind_All

Using the "Reset to Default" button will only reset the game to the key binds created by cryptic. Any binds that these don't overwrite will still exist. To get rid of them completely use this command, exit, delete and restart.

2.3 Command Variables

The next topic is command input. Many commands require parameters to function properly. These parameters will appear as text in between <chevrons>. These parameters are required in order to assign a value to whatever command you are trying to issue; some commands require more than one input. So, let's go through some of the more common parameters. (Yes, more definitions.)

2.3.1 Binaries <bin>

Binaries, also known as toggles, are either 1/+ (on) or 0/- (off). Generally, binary inputs are denoted as <bin>. For example, typing /combatlog 1 will turn on the combatlog, and /combat 0 will turn it off. If you type /combatlog by itself without a value it will print the current value assigned to combatlog in the [system] chat channel. This can be used to verify the value of a command and make sure the value has been changed.

2.3.2 Integers: <int>

Integers are whole numbers; 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on. The input requirement is denoted either by <int> or <value>. Generally I will attempt to stay with <int>.

2.3.3 Strings: <string>

A string is a sequence of characters required by commands in order to properly to execute. Examples include: player names, power names, chat channels, etc.

2.3.4 Parameters: <Param#>

A parameter is a reference or value that is passed to a command. In this case, <Param#> is loosely used to identify any of the above.