View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7 Section 6
12-07-2010, 04:58 AM
6.0 FAQ

Q: I don't like having to select my power setting with my mouse every time I need to change settings. How can I bind the in-game presets to keys.

A: I have all my presets for Weapons, Shields, Engines and Balanced bound to my F9, F10, F11 and F12 keys, respectively. The my bindfile I have:

Power Presets
F9 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_1"
F10 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_2"
F11 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"
F12 "StatsPreset_Load Preset_4"

There is a more indepth method, fairly complex and confusing method using slider commands to tweak the power setting to exactly where you want them. If anyone wants to know more send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Note: It is fine to group similar keybinds together and give them a Title. The system will ignore the Title, in this case Power Presets, and continue loading the binds.

Q: I'm having a hard time finding my teammates to send them heals. Is there an easy way to do this.

A: Of course; there are actually two ways:

Method #1: The F1 - F5 keys are designated Self (F1), Teammate 1 (F2) and so on. You could bind the desired command to a single button and use the F-key to target your teammate and the bound key to apply the power. So you'd do this:

<key> "+TrayExecByTray <row> <slot>"

Then you just tap F-key and then <key> to get your teammate the help they need.

Method #2: I have binds for 30 separate keys set to target any given teammate and send them the needed aid. It looks something like this:

Science Team
i "Target_self $$ +TrayExecByTray 6 8"
o "TargetTeammate 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 6 8"
p "TargetTeammate 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 6 8"
[ "TargetTeammate 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 6 8"
] "TargetTeammate 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 6 8"

In this example, my Science Team is located on the seventh tray in the ninth position; hence 6 8. The keys i, o, p, [ (right bracket), and ] (left bracket) are used to apply a Science Team to Myself (i), the first teammate in the list (o) ...

This makes removing that dastardly Jam Sensors or the equally troublesome Scramble Sensors quick and easy. A teammate need but ask and I shall deliver unto them.

Q: Esc, Option, Key Bind tab. Esc, Option, Key Bind tab. I'm tired of having to do this over and over each time I want to change a predefined keybind. Is there an easier way.

A: Bouncing in and out can get tiresome; so try:

<key> "keybind"

This will bind a key to open the keybinds tab. Hit it again and *poof* it closes.

Q: I want to be able to distribute my shields constantly during battle. You say you've done it, but you said it wasn't a toggle thingy. What gives?

A: I have bound the distribute shields command (/+power_exec Distribute_Shields) to my fire button. I use the space bar as my fire button; so everytime I press the space bar either I Fire Weapons or I activate a power. Distribute shields is one of those dozen powers.

Try this

space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

This will alternate firing all your energy weapons and distributing your shields each time you presst the space bar. Downside of this is it fires ALL energy weapons ... cannons & beam. If you want to only fire one type of weapon, you'll have to bring each weapon into the powers tray and use a series of +TrayExecByTray <row> <slot>.

Note: You really don't have to spam the fire button to fire your weapons unless you have each weapon individually represented in the bind. The next time you have the opportunity, find a buddy. Open a PvP challenge and test this. Press your fire buttion ONCE. Count how long it takes for all your weapons to cycle; I'll bet that for every energy weapon that is activated you'll have just as many seconds to wait. If you fire 4 weapons ... ~4 sec; 8 ... ~8s.

THAT is how often you MUST to press your fire button to maintain a constant rate of fire ... not every quarter second. Give your keyboard a break. (It also might last a little longer.)

Q: Can I make my torpedoes high yeild and fire them at the same time?

A: You sure can. Try this:

<key> "+TrayExecByTray <row> <slot> $$ GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps"

Q: I PvP alot and end up in PuGs where everyone is shooting at a different target. I want to be able to provide some leadership and get everyone focusing on the same target. Can you help?

A: Hehehe, oh can I. My teammates all get a giggle when I call out targets in team chat. Try this:

<key> Team Make your target: $target.

The $target string will capture your target's identity and insert it in the phrase.

I have rotating phrases (Set weapons to maximum and hit ...; I despise ...; Dispense with ...). Suffice it to say I have quite a few (and growing). My method is a little more complex, but anyone who wants additional assistance with jazzing <jazz fingers> things up, send me a PM and we'll get ya going.