View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd be careful.

Directly lifting copyrighted material and reassembling it without author permission for the purposes of a contest goes beyond "fair use."

It's a nice ship, it's just that I wouldn't use Drex's original work cut and pasted in parts of the design.
I read the rules. You are allowed to use Star Trek material for you submissions. As for the copyright owner of the image I "kitbashed" from, I considered it fair use because I have seen that image on multiple websites and none of them had attribution. (I didn't know it was a Drex work until now) And since CBS ultimately owns the license for the material and they gave us their blessing to use it, I see no problem.

Worst case: they pull my submission and it gets placed next to the images from other games. I wish I could draw better, but it is what it is. This was the best way to represent my vision. If they ultimately say I violated the rules, then so be it.

Edit: I went back and did a broad brush painting over the entire ship. That way it kept the shape but should alleviate any copyright issues.