View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 81
12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
I would agree with this only because, in my experience from talking to many people (fleet recruiters/members and otherwise) that there are many people who play this game who aren't well versed in raiding, in general. Many of the lessons taught by raiding in other games are easily applicable here. The specific differences could be taught via a quick tutorial but that's assuming the player is familiar with raiding in general. If they're not, a tutorial's not going to do it but a full scale raid scenario (like Leviathan suggests) would. Problem is, there's a cost (even if it's only an opportunity cost) to implementing that.
This is really the core of the problem. The classes in STO have no predefined role. Tactical can dps or tank. Sci or Engineering can both do something akin to healing. Engineering can tank. Sci can dps. Not having cookie-cutter classes is a positive thing...until you get to content like STF's. There is nothing in this game whatsoever that teaches you how to use your abilities as part of a team. You reach max level solo. Even if you group, its just two people killing twice as many mobs, you aren't using group tactics.

Since there's no preparation for 5-manning in this game, people tend to import what they've learned from other games: The Tank, Healer, 3 dps model for a 5-man. So then they struggle to figure out who's what, and find that nobody's in game abilities fit any of these roles neatly.

Basically, Cryptic has given us versatile, role-less classes (a good thing) and then asked us to take them into a WoW-style 5-man (in this case, a bad thing). So the key to redesigning STFs is two-fold. 1) Design them around the classes and player abilities in this game. 2) Put grouping experiences throughout the levelling path that allow people to learn how to coordinate their abilities with a group on their way to the STFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
You say that as if people who prefer the solo path are somehow deviant in doing so. If the developers agreed with you, they would make teaming mandatory (if not overtly, then definitely 'functionally'). It's not like it hasn't been done before (*cough*EverQuest*cough*). While I would agree that it seems daft to complain about content designed for groups when 99% of the game is soloable, I can't agree with the insinuation that choosing not to be saddled by other people's issues (or to saddle them with your own, whatever the case may be) somehow makes you an undesirable. 'Loner' doesn't tend to have a positive connotation, y'see (much like 'drifter'). I'm guilded in nearly every MMO I play, except this one and a few of the f2p ones. Of course, what you say isn't true either. I know of several people who can do raids all by themselves (multiboxing). So your 'all of the 300+ MMOs' statement is false.
You realize that you've just spent this whole paragraph arguing that Massively Multiplayer games are not designed to be Massively Multiplayer?

If all you want to do is solo, this is the wrong type of game. The Armada series might be better for you, if you want some solo space combat. Or Elite Force if you prefer ground. The whole premise of a Star Trek MMO, what makes it different than those other games, is that you're playing in a shared, persistant Star Trek universe with thousands of other like-minded players. MMOs are not designed around single player experience. So yes, someone who wants to play an MMO as a single player game is an exception, whether you want to call them 'weird' or some other more friendly adjective like 'special'.