How to fix "Faction" is overpowered
View Single Post
Join Date: Dec 2007
12-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by
Heh, that would work. The only other option is to create exact mirror faction ships. Most people want faction uniqueness but it's the only true way to end the "X" is OP whining.
My thoughts on how to do that:
- Fed ships get "stealth" mode (built in MES - less effective but with shields, or just a cloak if you prefer)
- Feds get a carrier (ugh), or Klingon carriers are removed (Yay)
- Defiant tweaked to match BoP characteristics (or new Fed light-escort introduced)
- Klingons get an Orion sci ship (Intrepid mirror) and a Klingon "spy" sci ship (Recon mirror)
- Klingons get Orion/Gorn escort (Advanced mirror)
- Klingons get an Excelsior and Nebula mirror
- Hull and Shield values equalized
- All gimmicky ship special abilities removed?
Then the only thing that's OP is skill, teamwork, and brains. Can't fix that though.
It Could also help with ending C-Store favortism. When a new ship is introduced Cryptic knows it needs a Fed version and a Klingon version, and they might even make more money!
So I'm not saying I want this to happen, but it would be interesting to see. I'd still prefer that Feds have no cloak while klingons obviously do. But I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Federation wouldn't develop cloak alternatives for defensive purposes. A "stealth mode" seams reasonable for the Federation's philosophy (we don't sneak around).
Well.. Just remove every BO skill, and make ships with statistics (speed, shield, turn, weapons) built in.. Remove all customization and make the 2 factions carbon copies of eachother.