View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
When I first saw this I was all "Oh cool!"
Quote:
A: We've had our kickoff meeting for our Feb 2nd event and so far most of the fun will be taking place on either Earth Space Dock or Qo'nos. Those that plan on attending the celebration will be able to walk away with a tchotchke to say 'you were there'.
Then I went "Wait a minute... WTF is a tchotchke?"

And once again Wikipedia gave me the answer Yay Wiki!

Quote:
Tchotchke (Typically pronounced "CHACH-kee") are small toys, gewgaws, knickknacks, baubles, lagniappes, trinkets, or kitsch. The term has a connotation of worthlessness or disposability, as well as tackiness, and has long been used in the Jewish-American community and in the regional speech of New York City.

The word may also refer to swag, in the sense of the logo pens, key fobs, and other promotional freebies dispensed at trade shows, conventions, and similar large events. Also, stores that sell cheap souvenirs in tourist areas like Times Square, Venice Beach, and the ABC Stores in Hawaii are sometimes called "tchotchke shops."

Leo Rosten, author of The Joys of Yiddish, gives an alternate sense of tchotchke as meaning a desirable young girl, a "pretty young thing." Less flatteringly, the term could be construed as a more dismissive synonym for "bimbo." These usages are not common outside of Jewish circles. The term (in the form tzatzke, with a tsade instead of teth-shin) is sometimes used in modern Hebrew as a slang word equivalent to ----
So.. Now I just have to wonder, which of these meanings will we recieve?

The Handy Nicknack..

A Nicknack Store...

Or an Orion Slave person all our own?

You know.. I'm kinda rooting for the Third option... Just cus.. I'm a pig..

Seriously, though. I am happy with most of the answers provided. And look foward to any updates to the PVP system, as well as continueing any Story lines currently in the game that have been left with hanging threads.