View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Also it'd be really, really lame if distinctively unique cultures that were never meant for total inclusion get mashed together in a single faction. Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons and Humans all in one big alliance? Sure, would make mission design a lot easier. At the same time it would totally take the flavor out of these species, for they'd be relegated to being nothing more than "skins", lacking content that is geared towards their unique culture and way of looking at things. Even worse, it would turn the entire game into some "good vs evil" (players vs NPCs) crap instead of the shades of grey we currently have.
They might be hostile in most situations. I'm not sure if we're agreeing on what a faction is.

I'm NOT saying Klingons and Federation should be friendly or eligible for teaming with eachother in most cases.

I'm saying that they should encounter the same third party scenarios and have distinctive play mechanics for dealing with them.

Now, endgame raiding, yes, I think those situations should be so dire that a Romulan, a Klingon, a Jem'Hadar, a Space Nazi, and a Tholian would team up. Because STFs shouldn't be about diplomatically factionsed cooperation. They should be mutual survival or mutual annihilation, with no third option regardless of what your culture is, and no barrage of orders dictating what you do.