View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeryangel
They would likely be in a something like a Klingon parliament building, but being Klingon there would be very heavy security which could take the form of the military "add on" in the greathall, so the greathall could actually be more politically oriented than military if it could be fully fleshed out. Sort of like it's a Parliament with a War Ministry and it's security force attached that's then also connected to feasting hall.
That's exactly how I saw the Great Hall in the game, actually.

Quote:
For you Trek appears to be more about "was a Klingon ever seen on screen infatuated with elements of another culture", than my "is it possible a Klingon could become infatuated with elements of another culture?". You go for sticking to scripts where as I go for whether something can fit the sentiments,ideals, the spirit of Trek and if it's plausible in Trek.
Thing is that it will no longer look like Trek if "what is plausible" (which is in the eye of the beholder) becomes the norm, as it will be if you open the possibilities, even if it's just because a large part of the playerbase wants maximum pixel eroticism. Just look at what happened to ESD with all those high-heeled, miniskirt, belly-top wearing go-go girls. Does that look like Starfleet? Do you really want Qo'noS to look alike? Is it wrong that there is at least one faction in the game that somewhat looks like an accurate representation of its culture(s) from the shows?

For the Orions their current look fits well because that is their culture, and that is what makes them memorable and unique. If you take the clothing away, all we're left with visually would be green-skinned Humans.

Quote:
[...] just because it's skimpyness is so different from normal klingon stuff.
Klingons already have skimpy stuff in canon. It just looks different. Why does every species have to wear the same stuff? This is contradictory to the very same diversity you seem to think you champion.

And yes, smooth silks do go against Klingon culture, especially considering that they make their wearer look like a toy'wI'a. Not everyone in Klingon society is a warrior, but to think that someone would voluntarily don this kind of garment because she likes it is comparable to walking around in a fetish harness in your hometown.

I just think customization should represent the standard range of clothing for the respective character, not cater to extreme exceptions. Because otherwise the exceptions will become the rule. And this would look bull. Again, see ESD.

Quote:
And here we come to what you likely really care about, probably not preserving Orion uniqueness but maintaining perceived KDF uniformity for your own personal "immersion".
Both, actually. I am of the opinion that every species has the right to retain its unique defining features. Partly because it's what makes them special, partly because that is what makes people play them, and partly because this is simply how it was done in the shows.

Quote:
The thing is opening up the Orion outfits is no more theft of Orion culture than an Englishwoman wearing a qipao is stealing Chinese culture, she's wearing Chinese culture, when someone sees her in it, they know she's at least a fan of that small part of Chinese culture not that she's trying to usurp it.
Actually, that line was referring to the player, not the character. They want bikinis because they dislike their own species' range of clothing and because they want to show off more skin, not because their characters have any reason to wear them. The most such players do it come up with some half-cooked excuse for such deviant behavior, naturally without thinking about the consequences this would really have for the character.